Below are some links you may or may not find interesting or helpful. Categories include:
- Beautiful Angle wheat paste posters (Tacoma, WA)
- "Beautiful Angle is a guerrilla arts poster project in Tacoma,
Washington. Approximately once per month, graphic designer Lance Kagey
and writer Tom Llewellyn create hand-crafted, letterpress posters and
then distribute them around the city's downtown core via wheat paste and
- Claes Oldenburg
- Large, outdoor sculpture of everyday objects guy.
- Flora Shinkle - Iowa State University Alumni, like Mr. Purdy!
- David Garibaldi - flash painter. America's Got Talent.
- The Imperfectionist - The Imperfectionist: cartooning, sketching, and animation coming together.
- Junk Chime!
- The Junk Chime is a mobile percussion sculpture made from recycled
metal objects suspended for tone and hung from a wheeled superstructure.
It was made by Ben Smith in Seattle in 1985 ad has been evolving
through use at Fairs and Festivals ever since, a children's activity
that is fun for everyone.
- Kseniya Simonova's Amazing Sand Drawing - Amazing.
- Patrick Demarchelier - fashion photographer.
- Legion of Extraordinary Dancers - These artists are not visual artists, but are amazing dancers whose movement we have studied in class. Also at http://news.tubefilter.tv/2009/12/02/legion-of-extraordinary-dancers-blows-up-fox/
- Missouri University Photojournalism department - "At MU we are blessed with professional programs started more than 50 years ago by Cliff and Vi Edom, that bring the world to our door. Pictures of the Year is judged here every year for about three weeks, bringing with it some of the world’s best pictures. The College Photographer of the Year Competiton provides a forum for student work to be recognized and encouraged. The Missouri Photo Workshop is perhaps the nation’s premiere photojournalism workshop - where a dozen photographers and editors teach documentary story-telling to dozens of young professionals during an intensive week of planning, shooting and editing in small towns throughout the state.. Each of these programs brings some of the world’s best photographers, picture editors and educators here as judges or faculty members. And, we have strongly-motivated graduate and undergraduate students in our program who create a community of support and challenge."
- The Oatmeal.com - comics, quizzes, and stories.
- Optical Illusion art
- Optical Illusions And Pictures
Welcome to the archive of optical illusions to challenge your mind.
Many of the images you will find here demonstrate visual phenomena, and
optical or visual illusions. You will learn about the complexities of
the human eye first hand. Visit the optical illusions below and give
your eyes and brain the time of their lives!
- Ruby Re-Usable - Artist Diane Kurzyna, aka Ruby Re-Usable, uses recycled, reused, discarded, unwanted, unloved, lost and found, pre- and post- consumer waste materials in herwork because she lives by the motto: MAKE ART NOT WASTE!
- Sandguys - "Our team of specialized sculptors enables Sand Guys to create the perfect masterpieces regardless of the concept or crowd, including corporate logos, detailed architecture, realistic human anatomy, mind-blowing mechanical sculptures and, of course, majestic sand castles.".
- Terry Border Makes Everyday Objects Come Alive
- Artist Terry Border is one of those people who holds a secret gift.
He can take boring, everyday objects and make them come alive. His art
can be appreciated for the clever thought behind it.
- UPCYCLIST - UPCYCLIST reports on beautiful and innovative reuse of unwanted, unloved materials and objects around the globe. We like restoring, recycling, reclaiming, reviving, remaking, repurposing, reusing, reloving...
- Iowa State University Alumni, like Mr. Purdy! zzGassman, an
interdisciplinary design collaborative founded by Bob (MArch 2009
Architecture) and Shannon (Jones) Gassman (BFA 2008 Interior Design)
- Metro Parks Tacoma: Metro Arts
- Metro Arts provides arts education and exploration for learners at
all levels! Play, learn and grow with Metro Arts at multiple Tacoma
locations all year long.
* Glass studio
* Jewelry Making
* Blackbox Theater Camps for kids
* Youth and Adult theater classes
* Dance Classes
* Private Lessons for instrumentalists
- National Art Education Association
- National Art Education Association Curriculum & Lesson Plans - Includes standards, thematic lesson plans, activities, materials, themes and artists.
- One Shot Sure Shot: ONE DAY PROJECTS FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL ART CLASS.
- Tacoma Culture - Art
- TacomaCulture.org is a service of the City of Tacoma
- WA OSPI Art Vocabulary
- Washington Art Education Association
- Art on the Ave Tacoma
- Usually in July on 6th Avenue between Cedar Street and Trafton Street, Tacoma.
- DesMoines Art Festival
- Usually in June in DesMoines, IA (where Mr. Purdy grew up).
- FREE Third Thursday Art Walk: Downtown Tacoma
- Artwalk was launched in 1989 by a small but dedicated group of
artists and gallery owners to help draw more patronage to the downtown
arts scene. With the opening of the Museum of Glass and the New Tacoma
Art Museum building there’s more to see than ever.
The third Thursday of every month from 5-8 p.m. member galleries have
refreshments, demonstrations and artists on site. Admission to the
Museum of Glass is free (during artwalk), the Tacoma Art Museum is free
all day, and the Washington State History Museum is free from 5 to 8
every Thursday. Come join the fun and be a part of the arts in downtown
- Tacoma Cultural database
- TacomaCulture.org is a service of the City of Tacoma.
- Art In Public Places: Washington State Arts Comission
- The Washington State Arts Commission Art in Public Places Program
facilitates the acquisition, placement, and stewardship of artwork in
state-funded building projects throughout Washington State.
½ of 1% for Art funds are generated by new construction projects in
state agencies, community colleges, universities, and public schools.
Local committees representing project sites make all final artwork
The State Art Collection includes 4,500 artworks that represent more
than 30 years of acquisitions. The collection contains a variety of
media and a broad diversity of contemporary artistic production from
many of Washington State’s notable artists, as well as other artists
- BKB Company: Tacoma, WA.
- Clear Lake Arts Center: Clear Lake, IA.
- Gallery Madera: Tacoma, WA.
- Grand Impromptu Gallery: Tacoma, WA.
- Northern Clay Center: Minneapolis, MN. - Northern Clay Center's mission is the advancement of the ceramic arts. Ongoing programs include exhibitions by contemporary regional, national and international ceramic artists, as well as historical and architectural ceramics; classes and workshops for children and adults at all skill levels; studio space and grants for artists; and a sales gallery representing many top ceramic artists from the region and elsewhere.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Public Art Tour
(WA) - This virtual tour includes public art pieces throughout Pierce
County. Search by picture, location, or artist to explore the wonderful
range of public art in our community. TacomaPierceCountyPublicArt.org
was developed in partnership between Tacoma and Pierce County Public Art
- The Art Shop: Tacoma, WA.
- Two Vaults Gallery: Tacoma, WA.
- Art cyclopedia - "The fine art search engine."
- FavoriteArchitecture.org - sponsored by the American Institute of Architects.
- Smarthistory - a multimedia web-book about art and art history.
- Street Art Utopia.
- wikipaintings.org - The project aims to create high-quality, most complete and well-structured online repository of fine art. We hope to make classical art a little more accessible and comprehensible, and also want to provide a new form of interaction between contemporary artists and their audience. In the future we plan to cover the entire history of art — from cave artworks to the new talents of today.
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Museum and school
- Bill Holm Center for the Study of Northwest Coast Art at The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture
- This museum is on the UW campus at 17th Avenue NE and NE 45th Street in Seattle, WA.
- DesMoines Art Center (DesMoines, IA)
- The art museum that Mr. Purdy 'grew up' with.
- Guggenheim Museum (New York, NY)
- MacNider Art Museum (Mason City, IA)
- Museum of Glass (Tacoma, WA)
- Museum of Modern Art (New York, NY)
- Portland Museum (Portland, OR).
- Seattle Art Museum
- 1300 1st Ave
Seattle, WA 98101.
- Tacoma Art Museum
- Dick Blick art supplies
- Order online or call (800)-828-4548.
Based out of Galesburg, IL
- SAX arts
- Tacoma Clay Art Center
- Homestar Runner
- An internet-based cartoon for all of you who are interested in
computer-based artistic graphics and animation. Also, very clever
writing and commentary.
- Imaging Resource:
- Pixlr.com: various levels of editing from simple (like iPod / iPhone and Android apps) to advanced (like Photoshop).
- Picmonkey: a free photo editor.
- Picnik used to be great: "The Picnik is over." As announced earlier, Picnik closed on April 19, 2012. We’ve packed up and moved some of our most popular tools and effects to Google+. Hope you visit us there.
- Mr. Canini - art @ Giaudrone Middle School (Tacoma, WA)
- Ms. Conklin - art @ Lincoln HS (Tacoma, WA). Conklin's personal scrapbooking site: http://goldiecar.blogspot.com
- Ms. Stegeman - art @ Jason Lee Middle School (Tacoma, WA)
- Ms. Richtsmeier - history and cultural geography teacher @ Clear Lake High School (Clear Lake, IA).
- Zamzar - free online file conversion.
- WA State Field Guides (Burke Museum - UW) - "Your portal to the natural and cultural heritage of Washington. As the state's official natural history and cultural museum, the Burke is dedicated to sharing knowledge about the natural world and our place in it. We strive to inspire respect for and curiosity about human life, nature, and the environment."
Cool Art Videos.